Chiangrai Crepes Rubber Company Ltd. has been in the business of manufacturing crepe rubbers since July 8, 2015. Currently, the company has 20 employees. The company believes that systematic production of crepes rubber would create more jobs opportunities in the area and generate income for local farmers.
In the past, the company has been buying a large number of cup lump rubber, approximately 30 tons per day, from farmers. The cup lump rubber will be delivered to production factories in the Eastern and the Southern parts of Thailand. However, if the company turns the production process into producing crepe rubber, all the raw materials would be used and profit would be made.
Previous problems encountered by the company include:
- A large amount of cub lump rubber purchased from rubber farmers would be left in the dry yard to allow water evaporation. The sun drying method generates unpleasant odor. Complaints from nearby villagers were received.
- A certain amount of cup lump rubber would be made into crepe rubber. Limitations exist in the production of cup lump rubber in regards to an evaluation of the actual amount of dry rubber content (DRC) when being traded.
Currently, the process of dry crepes rubber production requires indoor drying for approximately 15-20 days which is prone to fungal growth. In addition, the DRC (Dry Rubber Content) is not consistent which causes damage in rubber products.
Due to the above issues, and the rising demand for rubber, the company wishes to add the market value to a cup lump rubber and to develop it to be used as starting material for tire products. The new products would help increase the price of rubber and would also improve the price evaluation of cup lump rubber.
The main objective of this project is to raise the technological capability of crepe rubber production process through design and development of the process and air-drying facility for crepe rubber.
New concept of crepe rubber factory is designed to accommodate the production capacity of 10 tons of crepe rubber per hour. The newly developed process can produce up to 80% of high-quality crepe rubber. The improvement achieved in the process include:
- Use of tilting crepe machine which yields high-quality crepe rubber.
- Redesign of the layout of crepe machines which better suits the operation
Results and current status
The company has already installed the machines in June 2018. The crepe rubber was successfully produced. The company has increased its revenue by 140 percent to approximately 840 million THB a year. This paves the way for an opportunity to export high quality crepe rubber to major overseas markets such as China.
- To improve the production process to achieve maximum capacity.
- To develop a guideline for measuring the DRC of cup lump rubber.
- To develop a proposal for the establishment of the STR* 20 rubber plant in the future.